ASIAN RECIPES FOR YOU

A Collection Of Easy Recipes With Asian Style For Your Family.

Discover More

Monday, June 15, 2015

[Thailand Recipes] Mango Sticky Rice

First of all, I haven’t used Thai sticky rice to make my sticky dessert. Also, I haven’t added any sugar at all. I am so tempted to classify this recipe as a skinny version of the famous Thai dessert featuring coconut milk and rice, you can call "Mango Sticky Rice". No, I’m not going to do it because who knows how many calories are in this dish even though I skipped the sugar (side note: I think as bloggers we use the words “healthy” and “skinny” too easily).


Mango Sticky Rice | Thailand Recipes


I could have used glutinous rice if I wanted to stick with the original recipe (a rice I spotted a few times at the local shops in my neighborhood in London) however I was intrigued by the idea of not going out for shopping and use what my pantry offered me, instead. My motto in the kitchen is “let’s see if it works”.


Mango Sticky Rice 2 | Thailand Recipes


Have I told you that I’m having a big Thai cuisine moment? These are for me the days of “job hunting” and Pad Thai (I’m in the process of improving both).

Frankly, my first attempt at making the popular stir-fried noodles was quite a disappointment. I might have confused sticky noodle with sticky rice. Have you ever eaten collagenous rice noodles? You stick the fork in the plate and get the noodles all glued together in one single big cluster. Meh, the recipe deserved better fate.


Mango Sticky Rice 3 | Thailand Recipes




I succeeded at making a good sticky rice, instead. All in all, the cooking procedure is similar to the one to make sushi rice.

A good sticky rice although the type of rice I used is not typically found in the traditional Thai dessert. Although I just added a bit of honey at the end (never cook honey!) and no sugar. Too many “although” to be good? Well, not really. I truly liked this coco-nutty dish and I’m willing to make it again this way (I might use full fat coconut milk next time).


Little confession: this was my lunch today. What happened to all the veggie I’m supposed to eat because they’re good for me and blablabla? I though to start the meal “upside-down”. WRONG! Nobody should ever start a meal with sweets (even though these sweets do not contain much sugar). It’s dangerous. I still feel full now. Maybe not THAT full. I’m rather full for anything but desserts.

Do you ever eat sweets as your main meal? I feel a bit guilty now and it would help knowing that I’m not alone…

My Mango Sticky Rice


Ingredients

1 cup Thai Sweet Rice or 'glutinous rice, available at Asian food stores
1 ripe mangos
3 Tbsp. brown sugar (or honey)
1 can full fat coconut milk
water
salt

Mango Sticky Rice 4 | Thailand Recipes


Instructions

1. Soak the rice in 1 cup water for 20-30 minutes (the longer, the better)

2. Add 1/2 cup more water, 1/2 can coconut milk, a pinch of salt, and 1 Tbsp. brown sugar. Stir well.

3. Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat and keep cooking in the pan partially covered with a lid.

4. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until coconut-water has been absorbed by the rice.

5. Turn off the heat and keep the pan with the lid on tight. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.

6. To make the sauce, warm (do not boil) the rest of the can of coconut milk over medium-low heat (5 minutes). Add 2 Tbsp. sugar (or honey like I did), stirring to dissolve.

7. When ready to serve, prepare the mango by slicing it open (it's up to you if you like the mango diced or sliced). Place the warm rice in a little bowl (you could also use your hands to shape it) press it and then upend it on the serving plate. Add the mango on top or on the side, like I did. Drizzle lots of the sweet coconut sauce over. Garnish with fresh mint (optional) and serve.

This recipe and image sources are referred in website: Foodrecipeshq.com. Thanks so much!

You Like It, Please Share This Recipe With Your Friends Using...


Don't Forget To Read This Also...





No comments :

Speak Your Mind:


Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Copyright 2015, "All Asian Recipes For You". All Right Reserved.
Powered By Blogger | Designed By EXEIdeas | Edit by [R]